Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Most Amazing Day


This is the villa we visited


Yesterday was probably one of my most amazing days here so far. We left work a little early and drove about 40 minutes out of the city to one of the neonatologist's villa. On our drive there, we finally saw some camels.  Unfortunately I had put my camera in the back of the SUV and couldn't reach it.  I wish we could have stopped to see them.  The villa is their week-end home along the Red Sea. The houses in the area were absolutely gorgeous. Our host's home was a 3 story house with a small swimming pool meant for swimming laps in the front. The back of the house looked out on the Red Sea. What a fantastic view. Their were many jet skis and speed boats flying past. We had 3 young men on jet skis showing off for us Americans. Of course the first thing after we got there they had food for us. There was so much food, chicken fettuccine alfredo (it was amazing, most of the time fettuccine alfredo is so rich but this was very light and very delicious), 2 different kinds of rice, salad, chicken and some other things that I didn't even try because it was too much. After we ate, we changed so we could go swimming. The typical suit for a Saudi female covers them up completely. No danger of sunburning for them. Because we were at a private home, we were able to wear our swimming suits. The water was so warm, it was just like bath water. And because of the salt content, it took no effort at all to float in the water. You had to wear shoes if you went in the water because the bottom of the sea is covered with rocks. It was heavenly. Also a little dangerous with all of the boats and jet skis causing quite the waves. I had to swim quickly back to the shallow area to avoid getting hit. I guess driving on the sea is just as dangerous as driving on the road. It was also a little difficult to get back onto the shore with the rocks being covered with moss, that made them a little slippery.  I was a little surprise by the shore line being littered with water bottles, pop cans and etc.  After swimming we sat underneath a little cabana and enjoyed the view. Their was just enough of a breeze from the sea that it was quite pleasant sitting outside. I also noticed that there weren't any bugs to swat away and definitely no mosquitos. We then had hot mint green tea and soft drinks. The project manager had brought a cake, it was an early birthday surprise for me (my birthday isn't until Friday). They all sang Happy Birthday to me first in English and then in Arabic. The cake was chocolate, my favorite.
The night wasn't over though, our host arranged for us to have a ride on a speed boat. It was so much fun. We went very fast and were bumping along the sea. I am surprised any of my pictures turned out, what with the bouncing. I had only a couple that are tilted slightly. Via boat we got a better view of some of the villas. From my understanding most of the villas are week-end homes. All I can say is wow! We were also treated to an awesome sunset on the Red Sea. Words cannot describe the absolutely stunning view. I couldn't get enough of watching the sun set. And I was very fortunate to get a lot of pictures but the pictures just don't do it justice. I could have stayed there all evening just enjoying being outside and looking at the sky and the sea.
Our host and her family were so gracious. It was fun talking to her daughters and nieces. One of her daughters is a doctor and one daughter and niece are in medical school. We were also entertained with her son who is 6. He was somewhat fascinated by the American women.
We brought some cake back to the hotel for Derebi, who is our respiratory therapist with us. Because we would be swimming, he couldn't come along since he is a male. We felt badly about that but he has access to the hotel gym and pool and as women we don't.
I will talk about some of the Saudi Arabia traditions in a later post.

This is the typical swimming suit for a Saudia Arabia woman


My early Birthday Cake!!


Along the shore
Sunset over the Red Sea.  Awesome!

1 comment: