Saturday, July 28, 2012

Last Day in Jeddah

Today was a day to say goodbye to all of our new friends that we have made these last few weeks.  Saying goodbye was said with very mixed feelings.  I am sad with not knowing if I will ever see these wonderful people again.  But it also has been a very long time to be away from home.  Even though I have had my room cleaned, my bed made every morning, my laundry has been done and I have had wonderful food these past 3 weeks and I didn't have to cook.  I have really missed everyone at home. 
It was been a wonderful  and sometimes exciting experience.  The people have been awesome to work with.  They have been very receptive to our suggestions, been willing to learn and change practices.  They have been very gracious to all of us.  I am not sure if someone came into my work and changed a lot of what we did, we would have been as gracious.  I have a feeling we would have been a little more resistant.  We have made a lot of changes and have done a lot of teaching in the last 3 weeks.  I just hope that we have made a positive difference in their practices and that they will be able to carry on the changes that we have made.  A lot will depend on if the Ministry can keep up with maintaining the supplies we have requested.
Our project manager met with the Assistant Minister of Health today.  He had some very positive things to say about our team, how hard we have worked and how much we have accomplished in such a short time.  He also said that Saudi Arabia will be signing another contract with us to continue the education of the Saudi hospitals.  So I might have another opportunity to come back next year.  Who knows what might happen in my future.
The staff at the hotel have also been very helpful.  From the guy that cleaned my room, to the staff in the restaurants, and the valets that have helped us with some of our excursions.  They have been very patient with us.  I also need to acknowledge our driver.  Jasim was always on time and was always very helpful in getting our bags in the van.  He was always very pleasant and went above and beyond, even taking us places after work.
I will always treasure these wonderful experiences and the wonderful people I have met. 
My next post will be when I am back in the United States.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment